'getting the most out of vacuum tubes' by Tomer
Big Bad Bob
2015-09-28 23:03:11 UTC
FYI - plug for this particular book. It discusses some rather
interesting design principles, and observations about testing tubes, how
they don't always perform the same depending on the circuit, etc. and
how to extend tube life, yotta yotta yotta.

long read, good info. mostly skimming, had a copy as PDF for a while
now, looking over it again for ideas.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/getting-the-most-out-of-vacuum-tubes

found PDF here, didn't DL but probably correct

http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/intro_Tomer_1960_Getting_the_Most_Out_of_Vacuum_Tubes.pdf
John L Stewart
2015-09-29 10:51:23 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bob
FYI - plug for this particular book. It discusses some rather
interesting design principles, and observations about testing tubes
how
they don't always perform the same depending on the circuit, etc. and
how to extend tube life, yotta yotta yotta.
long read, good info. mostly skimming, had a copy as PDF for a while
now, looking over it again for ideas.
http://tinyurl.com/nfn2z4k
found PDF here, didn't DL but probably correct
http://tinyurl.com/ons67c5
Thanx for the 'heads up' on that book, looks like a very goo
reference.

Here is a link to copies of that book thru Alibris, a good source of ou
of print & other books, Etc. I'ved used them several times over man
years for books on engineering, Etc such as Frank E Terman & so on.

http://tinyurl.com/q5slgqf

Cheers to all, John L Stewar

John L Stewart
Big Bad Bob
2015-09-29 19:02:30 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bob
FYI - plug for this particular book. It discusses some rather
interesting design principles, and observations about testing tubes, how
they don't always perform the same depending on the circuit, etc. and
how to extend tube life, yotta yotta yotta.
long read, good info. mostly skimming, had a copy as PDF for a while
now, looking over it again for ideas.
http://tinyurl.com/nfn2z4k
found PDF here, didn't DL but probably correct
http://tinyurl.com/ons67c5
Thanx for the 'heads up' on that book, looks like a very good
reference.
Here is a link to copies of that book thru Alibris, a good source of out
of print & other books, Etc. I'ved used them several times over many
years for books on engineering, Etc such as Frank E Terman & so on.
http://tinyurl.com/q5slgqf
I'll have to see if I can get the GE tube book [I've got one, but it's
old, worn, pages falling out, cover missing, etc.].

it's titled "GE Receiving Tube Manual". don't know when printed,
probably the 60's. It was kinda old when someone gave it to me in the
mid 70's. Has "RC-27" on the binding. Over 600 pages. (only page 1
and the front cover seem to be missing, probably not important)
Big Bad Bob
2015-09-29 19:10:36 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bob
I'll have to see if I can get the GE tube book [I've got one, but it's
old, worn, pages falling out, cover missing, etc.].
it's titled "GE Receiving Tube Manual". don't know when printed,
probably the 60's. It was kinda old when someone gave it to me in the
mid 70's. Has "RC-27" on the binding. Over 600 pages. (only page 1
and the front cover seem to be missing, probably not important)
mine's probably the 1972 version. the 1964 version is shown here. I
remember a different cover:

http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2010/09/rca-receiving-tube-manual-1964-edition/
j***@gmail.com
2019-05-10 14:22:31 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bob
FYI - plug for this particular book. It discusses some rather
interesting design principles, and observations about testing tubes, how
they don't always perform the same depending on the circuit, etc. and
how to extend tube life, yotta yotta yotta.
long read, good info. mostly skimming, had a copy as PDF for a while
now, looking over it again for ideas.
https://www.tubedepot.com/products/getting-the-most-out-of-vacuum-tubes
found PDF here, didn't DL but probably correct
http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/intro_Tomer_1960_Getting_the_Most_Out_of_Vacuum_Tubes.pdf
My #1 go to book on tubes. Easy to understan no nonsense explanations.

About twenty years ago I was working on lowering hum in Ampeg SVT amplifiers.
I called my good friend Rich K and he told me to get the Tomer book. Rich never gave me a direct answer to anything I ever asked, he would instead give subtle clues and such, but he was a thoughtful and effective teacher willing to share his knowledge,,, BUT you bloody well had to work for it!

The Tomer book clearly offered up the simple answer. RDH confirmed as well.

Got the amps noise floor down and the amp was ready for the studio. (not sure why they wanted a 300 watt bass amp for studio recording).
Big Bad Bob
2019-07-21 04:00:27 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
not sure why they wanted a 300 watt bass amp for studio recording
usually it's "headroom" - or "Max Headroom" C-C-C-Catch the wave!

Seriously though you want too much power as long as there's no
background noise added in the process. Then your output will have lower
distortion as a general rule, lack clipping, etc. [unless you WANT that,
in which case mike the amp cranked up or whatever]
--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"